Remote Desktop Access - Remote Control and Monitoring
Free Computer Remote Control Software
Remote Access software also known as Remote Control software or Remote Desktop can be a great time saver in the computer lab. These programs can save you time by allowing you to remotely manage all of your lab computers and monitor and remotely assist students in the computer lab. There are many excellent commercial programs that help you to manage a computer classroom. Commercial programs often provide additional features, more frequent updates, and greater support. For schools that need a free program the choices are few. LanView4 by MST and iTALC are free computer lab remote control programs that provide essential functions.
The installation typically consists of two components, a server and a client program. Install the server program on the teacher's computer and install the client program on the student computers. The server program is the master control program. The client responds to the server commands and allows the server to manage the student's computer.
LanView Remote Control Features:
- Shutdown PC's. - No more going from machine to machine turning them off one by one. At the end of a class or end of the day, just select the machines you want to turn off and click the button.
- Reboot selected PC's - If you use a program like Faronics Deep Freeze or Microsoft Steady State, you know that the computer starts completely fresh and ready to go after a reboot. Between classes reboot the whole lab in mass and you know each machine is ready for the next class.
- Logoff Selected PC's - Sure you have the students trained to dutifully log off when it's time to go. But training teachers can be more difficult. Log off that computer with email program wide open or the online grading program on the screen.
- Turn on selected PC's - Excellent for turning on lab computers every morning, or for turning on additional computers to accomodate larger class sizes.
- Watch selected PC screens - Sometimes you can stand and walk and patrol the class all day. Sometimes you need to sit down. Watch the screens while sitting to keep students on task.
- Remote control student PC's - Sometimes a student gets stuck. They just need a little assistance to get them on their way. With remote control you could take control of their computer and demonstrate or guide them back on track.
- Blank selected screens - Get students attention while explaining the lesson or giving instructions. You can put any message you like to show on the blanked screen "Hands OFF the Computer, Just Listen" is my favorite.
- Automatically login students - Why waste valuable lab time logging in for each one of your younger students? No more going from computer to computer logging in for them. Login the computers in mass with this time saver.
- Send messages - Send messages to assist students or request a "see me" discussion.
- Launch Programs - Start any program on selected computers. Did a class of first graders come in 10 minutes late on the day you were going to have them write Happy Valentine' day letters? Launch Microsoft Word in mass and get it done.
iTALC Remote Control Features:Some iTALC Features:
- Watch students computers screens to see what's going on in computer-labs using overview mode.
- Take snapshots of screens.
- Remote-control computers to assist students.
- Display the the teacher's screen (either in fullscreen or in a window) on all student's computers in realtime.
- Lock workstations for moving undivided attention to teacher
- Send text-messages to students
- Power on/off and reboot computers.
- Remote logon and logoff and remote execution of arbitrary commands/scripts
- Home-schooling - iTALC's network-technology is not restricted to a subnet and therefore students at home can join lessons via VPN-connections just by installing iTALC client