Excel Lesson Plan
Movie Expenses for Two
Assignment: Students create a spreadsheet and chart showing movie expenses for two people. Instructions: A student and a family member go to the movies and buy two movie tickets along with some food and drinks. Students should select as many items as they can from the Mega Movies menu and price list without spending more than $55.00. Students create a spreadsheet using the items and prices chosen from the list. Students use a formula (SUM) to calculate the total cost. Students create a chart illustrating their movie expenses.
Excel Movie Expense
Budget with Chart - Finished Example
Mega Movies Menu and Price List:
Explain the scenario to the students and make this menu available for them to view. Students should select several items from the menu, and enter their choices and the prices into their spreadsheet.
Excel Mini-Course in 4 Minutes:
Quickly learn the essentials you need for this lesson with these short, focused video tutorials. Watch all the videos to see how to create a budget and chart from start to finish or just watch the ones you need.
Students Learn and Practice
the Following Basic Spreadsheet Skills:
- Creating and formatting a spreadsheet title using "merge and center"
- Entering data in columns and rows
- Using the simple formula "Autosum" to automatically calculate total expenses
- Formatting numbers as currency and adding $ signs.
- Creating a chart using the expense data entered.
- Using different colors for chart segments to improve visual presentation
- Creating, sizing, and positioning the chart to fit on a single page with the data
- Searching, inserting, sizing, and positioning clipart or pictures
- Using print preview and printing