Excel Lesson Plan
Thanksgiving Dinner Cost Comparison
Assignment: Students create a spreadsheet and chart comparing Thanksgiving dinner prices for two stores. Students choose the same or similar 6 or 7 items from each store to compare. Students create their spreadsheet using prices from the Thanksgiving price list. Students may also use online food store prices if available. Students format the numbers with dollar signs and use a formula (SUM) to calculate total costs. Students create a chart illustrating their expenses. Which store saves you more money?
Spreadsheet and Chart
Dinner Cost Comparison Finished Example
Grocery Store Price List
Students can use this list to compare the prices of similar items from two different stores. Student choose 6 or more products from each store to compare.
Excel - Dinner Cost Comparison Instructions
Excel Mini-Course in 4 Minutes:
Quickly learn the essentials you need for this lesson with these short, focused video tutorials. Watch all the videos to see how to create a budget and chart from start to finish or just watch the ones you need.
Students Learn and Practice
the Following Basic Spreadsheet Skills:
- Creating and formatting a spreadsheet title using "merge and center"
- Entering data in columns and rows
- Using the simple formula "Autosum" to automatically calculate total expenses
- Formatting numbers as currency and adding $ signs.
- Creating a chart using the expense data entered.
- Using different colors for chart segments to improve visual presentation
- Creating, sizing, and positioning the chart to fit on a single page with the data
- Searching, inserting, sizing, and positioning clipart or pictures
- Using print preview and printing