Excel Lesson Plan - Lemonade Stand
Students Create an Expense Budget for a Lemonade Stand.
The instructions are for Microsoft Excel 2007 version, but the data and chart can easily be recreated using any of the various Excel versions or even non Microsoft variants. I have used this successfully with grades 4 - 5 but your mileage may vary.
This lesson builds on the excel expense budget and shopping budget lessons by adding the following requirements:
- Use autofill to create the sequential months labels.
- Use autofill to create redundant values found in the expense columns.
- Use autosum and autofill to calculate and fill in the expense totals.
- Enter your chart title in cell C1.
- Click in cell C1 and drag mouse to cell H1. In the Home tab, alignment group, find and apply "Merge and Center" to the title.
- With the title still selected, on the Home tab, Font group, apply a new font color, font size and font style.
- Type "Expenses" in cell A5. Enter all the expenses from cell A7 - A12. Type "Total Expenses" in cell A13.
- Type "Jan" in cell B5. Enter the expense values from cell B7 - B12.
- Click in cell B13 and then click the Formulas tab on the menu bar.
Find and click "AutoSum" in the Function Library group and then press enter to get the expenses total for January.
- Click in cell B5. Click and drag the small square at the bottom right of the outlined cell. Drag the square to G5. This will automatically fill in the rest of the months all the way to Jun.
- Demonstrate filling in the expense figures manually for cost of lemons and Sugar for the months of Feb - Jun.
- Click in cell B9. Click and drag the small square at the bottom right of the outlined cell. Drag the square to G9. This will autofill the value 6.00 in each cell in row 9 all the way to Jun.
- Repeat the use of autofill for rows B10 through B12.
- Demonstrate that autofill will create autosums in row 13 for each of the months all the way to Jun.
Excel Lemonade Stand Lesson: